Antonella Liuzzo Scorpo and Jamie Wood have just co-edited a special issue of the journal Al Masaq: Journal of the Medieval Mediterranean, published by Taylor & Francis. The special issue is entitled “History-writing and Violence in the Medieval Mediterranean” and can be accessed online here.
The contents are as follows:
- Introduction: History-writing and Violence in the Medieval Mediterranean by Antonella Liuzzo Scorpo (Lincoln) & Jamie Wood (Lincoln)
- Anxieties of Violence: Christians and Muslims in Conflict in Aghlabid North Africa and the Central Mediterranean by Jonathan P. Conant (Brown)
- Third/Ninth-Century Violence: “Saracens” and Sawdān in Erchempert’s Historia by Christopher Heath (Manchester Metropolitan University)
- Persecution, Past and Present: Memorialising Martyrdom in Late Antique and Early Medieval Córdoba by Jamie Wood (Lincoln)
- Anger in the Crónica de Alfonso X by Simon R. Doubleday (Hofstra)
- Images of Biblical Conflict in Castile, c.1150–c.1240: A Comparison of the Chronica Adefonsi Imperatoris and the Chronica Latina Regum Castellae by Alun Williams (Exeter)